Local Roots, Global Reach
Korea. India. Spain. Mexico. Australia. Italy. Nicaragua. New Zealand. (And those are just some of the destinations where Thiel students have studied recently.) Thiel is abroad!
One of the most exciting and educational experiences at Thiel is the opportunity to study abroad. As part of our commitment to educational excellence and global awareness, we offer opportunities for our students to become world-ready leaders through many study abroad programs. There is no better way to learn, mature and develop self-confidence than immersing yourself in the challenge of a foreign culture.
Current Study Abroad Opportunities
Thiel College offers several distinctive study abroad programs:
- Semester-long exchange programs with three Korean universities in Seoul: EWHA, Dongguk and Duksung Universities, where classes are offered, in English, to participants.
- A chance to explore South American and Spanish culture in Ecuador's largest city, Quayaquil, through UEES.
- Unique faculty-led, short-term international exploration on a regular basis, usually during the winter, spring or summer breaks. In addition to bearing course credit, these shorter excursions are often service oriented. In the past four years, student-faculty teams have visited Nicaragua, Mexico and Italy.
- Additional locations and programs can also be found through our partnerships with other local colleges and universities' study abroad programs.
How can I study abroad?
The study abroad coordinator, Dr. Matt Morgan, is ready and eager to help you develop a personalized, international experience at quality partner universities around the world. We also help bring together groups, led by Thiel faculty, who explore the true meaning of global citizenship by venturing to unique destinations during short "study away" experiences.
We encourage study abroad during the junior year, but travel during sophomore and senior years is possible. It is never too early to begin planning—schedule an appointment with the study abroad coordinator to learn more about how your dream of global travel can become a reality.
Thiel College offers several sources for funding and planning study abroad programs.
- The Vira I. Heinz Program offers Thiel women, who are first-time international travelers, $5,000 to help fund their travel through a competitive application process.
- For all Thiel students, there are several other scholarships also available, in addition to many outside sources. Contact the study abroad coordinator for more about funding options.
- International Studies Abroad (ISA) and CIS Abroad are available to help plan the study abroad experience.
- Read more about study abroad at Thiel in our study abroad brochure
- Share in the adventures of some of our global travelers through their blogs: Audrey Rattay '12
Dr. Matt Morgan, study abroad coordinator
email@example.com or 724-589-2030