Degree awarded: Bachelor of Science
Total credit hours: N/A
Internship/Practicum opportunities: Visit the Career Development Center for internship information.
About the program
Chemistry students at Thiel College are curious about the world around them. When you study chemistry at Thiel, you will discover what matter is made of and how it behaves using a mix of classroom instruction and lab experience. You'll learn all of the major chemistry disciplines in a small class size with personal attention from our distinguished faculty.
Visit our Academic Catalog (2020-2021) for course listings.
- Learn how matter behaves right down to the atomic level.
- Work individually with professors and gain experience as lab assistants.
- Take advantage of internship and job opportunities.
- Participate in study abroad programs that can take you as far as Australia or South Korea.
- Earn science and chemistry related scholarships.
Thiel College offers scholarships to students for reasons such as academic success, community service or involvement, exemplary leadership and more! The scholarships available to chemistry majors are:
- Marion G. Resch Science Scholarship at Thiel College
- Bennett-Heald-Safford Endowed Scholarship Fund
- Dr. Florence West Tribute to Dr. Bly
- The Dr. Judith A Crissman '64 Endowed Scholarship Fund
- The William B. Frank Minority Scholarship in the Physical Sciences
- Emil A. Lucas Chemistry Scholarship
- The Maenpa Family Biotechnology Endowed Scholarship Fund at Thiel College
- Elizabeth McElhaney Scholarship
- J. Scott Morrison Endowment for Science and Religion
- Paul H. Ralston Chemistry Award Fund
- Charles E. Rogers ’36 and Ruth G. Rogers Education Scholarship
- The Charles ’57 and Edna Semroc Scholarship Fund
- Arthur E. Smith Scholarship Fund
- Ruth Staudenmayer, R.N. Memorial Scholarship
- TWC Amelia Earhart Scholarship
- Irene Wintersteen Memorial Science Scholarship
Visit our Financial Aid page to learn more about the types of aid available to students.
Clubs & Organizations
It's easy to get involved on campus! Joining a student club or organization is an excellent way to meet others and gain leadership experience. A chemistry major might be interested in the following clubs and orgs:
- American Chemistry Society
- Alpha Psi Omega (American Chemical Society)
- Sigma Xi (Scientific Research Society)
Visit our Campus Life page to see a full list of student clubs and organizations.
Alumni & Careers
Studying chemistry at Thiel College opens up a world of opportunities! Chemists work in a wide range of professional fields such as industry, academia, government and non-profits. A Thiel chemistry degree prepares you for work such as:
- Research Scientist: Conduct research and publish findings, participate in professional conferences and write grant proposals. Median salary is $77,406.*
- Analytical Chemist: Work to determine the chemical makeup of a variety of substances, both organic and inorganic. Median salary is $55,595.*
- Quality Assurance Analyst: Test products to ensure that they meet the standards that make products reliable, functional, and user-friendly. Median salary is $53, 800.*
- Chemical Engineer: Develop raw materials into a range of useful products such as petrochemicals, medicine and plastics. Median salary is $102,160 per year.**
- Pharmacist: Dispense prescription medications to patients and offer expertise in the safe use of prescriptions, conduct health and wellness screenings, and provide immunizations. Median salary is $124,170 per year.**
*Job and salary information from www.payscale.com
**Bureau of Labor Statistics