Education – Early Childhood and Special Education (B.A.)
As a student in Thiel College’s Education Department, you will experience a modern and exciting curriculum based on the latest “Effective Schools” research that includes instructional teaching strategies based on the work of Bob Marzano, Jay McTighe, Grant Wiggins and other current leaders in the field of education.
Requirements for students pursuing a major in education include:
- courses of study based on “How Students Learn” and how to teach and plan for “Teaching for Understanding.”
- classes structured to reinforce the skills needed to be an effective teacher.
- learning about planning, classroom management, instruction, attitude, professionalism, effective discipline and motivation techniques.
- a small student-faculty ratio.
- individual advising opportunities with members of the education department.
- extensive opportunities to be in real classrooms prior to student teaching (190 pre-student teaching hours).
- cooperative arrangements with Mercer County school districts for placement in pre-student teaching mentoring programs.
- student teaching placements with public schools in Mercer County and surrounding areas.
- highly interactive education classes that increase student confidence and skills in facilitating collaborative inquiry.
- class work that is grounded in high standards.
- opportunities to discuss best practices in an atmosphere where students’ input is valued.
Note: There is a GPA requirement for ALL education classes, whether one is an education major or not. A GPA of 2.75 is required for the first three ECE courses, and the first two EDUC courses. A GPA of 3.0 is required for all other education courses.
Early Childhood Education (ECE) PreK-4 and Special Education Pre K-8 degrees Early Childhood and Special Education
This new degree began in fall of 2010. Course work for students include:
- ECE 110 Child Development, Typical and Atypical, Birth-Age 5
- ECE 111 Foundations of Education
- ECE 112 The Developing Child—The Primary Years K-4th Grade
- ECE 213 Language Development for Early Childhood
- ECE 214 Early Literacy Foundations for Preschool Years PreK-1
- ECE 215 The Learning Process: Integrating Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment
- ECE 216 Math Foundations for the Preschool Years
- ECE 304 Literacy Foundations for the Primary Grades
- ECE 334 Math Foundations for the Primary Grades ECE 335 Science Methods
- ECE 335 Science Methods
- ECE 336 Social Studies Methods
- ECE 355 Evidence-Based Practices in Early Childhood Care and Education
- ECE 367 Advocacy Collaboration and Cooperative Learning Issues and Trends
- ECE 369 Integrating the Arts for the Developing Child, Pre K-4 Methods
- ECE 420 Using Instructional Technology and Universal Design to Support Literacy, Math and Science Achievement
- ECE 424 Student Teaching
- SPED 356 Special Education Processes
- SPED 357 Effective Instructional Practices
- SPED 358 Intensive Reading, Writing and Math Intervention Approaches
- SPED 360 Educational Assessment
- EDUC 400 Educating English Language Learners
- LD SPED 420 Effective Collaboration and Communication in the Academic Setting
- SPED 424 Student Teaching
- SPED 440 Evidence-Based Effective Instruction – Teaching Students with Behavioral Disabilities
- SPED 450 Evidence-Based Effective Instruction- Teaching Students with High and Low Incidence Disabilities